Saturday, August 8, 2009

Small Things, Big Love

Summer is dwindling down to a few weeks left in August and I have been left wondering what I have made of my months so far and what I will make of the weeks left. I find it really easy sometimes to fall prey to the lie that my worth comes from what I do and not who I am in Christ. What more could I do in my life that Christ hasn't already done? I mean, the guy was raised from the dead after dying for the sins of the world! Can I really outdo that? (The correct answer would be a blaring NO).
Well, one thing that I have done with my time this summer is read "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. There's a lot that I love about this book, but the one quote that has stuck with me most is actually from Mother Teresa...

"We cannot do great things on this earth; we can only do small things with great love."

God has been using this quote as a gentle reminder to me that it is in the attitude of my heart when I clean up dishes and in the sincerity of a gift that's what matters to Him - and not the quantity or frequency of which I do these things (although they are not insignificant).
I pray that God would use me to do small things with great love each day. It is all I can do - and even then only by His strength.

No comments: